Image Map

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Key Lime...Cake?!

You read that right. Cake. My aunt and cousin celebrated their birthdays this last week and both requested Key Lime something. My aunt had to be difficult and request a cake. Not the pie I was already eating in my head. But? It wasn't my birthday, so I started researching a Key Lime cake recipe. Something I've never even heard of. And? She didn't want the traditional cream cheese frosting, she wanted a glaze. 

Oh. Geez.
What you need for the cake:
  • 1 package lemon cake mix
  • 3/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored gelatin mix
  • 3/4 cup orange juice

  • What you need for the glaze:
  • 3 tablespoons of key lime juice and a little zest
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • If you'd rather a sweet flavor than a tart, add a bit of milk and not so much lime juice.

  • What you do:
  • Spray a 13X9 dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the cake ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer. Mix for 2 minutes. Bake according to directions on cake mix box. After the cake has cooled a couple of hours, mix up the glaze and drizzle over top of the cake.  

  • Serve with milk. It is definitely different, but good! I'll make it again.


No comments: